Sunday, August 14, 2011

And Then There Was Cancer

The radiologist said, "It looks like you have a little bit of cancer." Really? Just a little bit?!

Beside manner, beware. Not so fond of this gal.

I was set to have a hysterectomy tomorrow (sidenote - I think it is extremely hilarious that I got my period today!). When I went in for my pre-op physical, I also had my annual mammogram. When my gynecologist (Dr. Rozeboom) came into the exam room, he quickly talked about the hysterectomy surgery, and then said he wanted to talk about the lump he saw on the films. We talked briefly about the lump, said that regardless of what it is, he would want it out. He scheduled an appointment with my surgeon (Dr. Renz - hot, hot, hot!) a few days later, saying it would be helpful if we could group the two surgeries together. He suggested the surgeon may want to do a biopsy. The next day, the radiologist (at RCI) called to schedule an appointment for a more specific mammogram and an ultrasound. At that appointment the next day we talked about my upcoming appointment with the surgeon, and how he may want to do a biopsy. The radiologist called the surgeon and they agreed doing the biopsy sooner would be best. A few minutes later, they had a time slot open that afternoon, so I came back and hour later for an ultrasound biopsy.

It just plain sucked. I went straight to Dairy Queen after and got a Peanut Butter Bash. If you've never had one, STOP reading this blog NOW and go get one!

The day I met with the surgeon and was expecting the biopsy results, I woke up with a bad feeling in my gut. Early in the morning, the radiologist called and asked me to make an appointment to discuss my biopsy results. Yeah, the two other times I have had a breast biopsy, they have told me 'benign' over the phone. I told her I was going to come to her office right then. This is when she told me I have cancer. The tumor is clinically diagnosed as Stage II cancer, 2.5 cm in size, and grade 3 in appearance. I say clinical because until I have surgery and they can test the slices of the tumor, we won't know the true pathology of this thing. My receptor test results were: 
  • Estrogen Receptor (ER): Positive (+) 1%, Allred score: 2
  • Progesteron Receptor (PR): Negative (-), Allred score: 0
  • HER-2-, score 1+
  • Ki-67 Proliferation Index: High 60%
In lay terms, the best I understand this clinical diagnosis is:
  • Stage 2 (on a scale of 4) because of the size of the tumor (20 x 19 x 26 cm)
  • Grade 3 (on a scale of 1-3) because it is most abnormal in appearance and considered to be aggressive
  • These three results help the oncologist determine the best treatment for me:
    • ER+ (1%), Allred score of 2 (on a scale of 1-8)
    • PR-, Allred score of 0 (on a scale of 1-8)
      • Both indicate the tumor is most likely not stimulated by estrogen or progesterone, and may mean that it will not respond well to hormone therapy 
    • HER-2 negative, score 1+ (on a scale of 0-3+), which indicates this is a mildly agressive, fast growing cancer
  • Ki-67, high at 60% indicates that my cells are dividing rapidly, another aggressive cancer indication; lower than 10% is a preferred result
All of these statistics define my personal cancer, which therefore helps the doctors determine the best course of treatment. There are so many factors involved that make up my particular case that differentiates it from other's. This is why there is no set treatment for cancer in general, but so many treatment options depending on a specific diagnosis.


Quote for today:
"We learned more about cancer in two hours than I learned about anything in four years of college." ~ Sheryl Crow, from the Foreword of Crazy Sexy Cancer Tips (a gift from John)

One of my most favorite songs, based on Psalm 119:105, Thy Word, by Amy Grant:
Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet
And a light unto my path.
When I feel afraid
And think I lost my way,
Still, you're there right beside me.
Nothing will I fear
As long as you are near;
Please be near me to the end.
Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet
And a light unto my path.

No comments:

Post a Comment